Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Forgotten Bookmarks by: Michael Popek

Title: Forgotten Bookmarks  Author: Michael Popek  Publisher:Penguin Pages: 182 Copyright: 2011


From Amazon:
It's happened to all of us: we're reading a book, something interrupts us, and we grab the closest thing at hand to mark our spot. It could be a train ticket, a letter, an advertisement, a photograph, or a four-leaf clover. Eventually the book finds its way into the world-a library, a flea market, other people's bookshelves, or to a used bookstore. But what becomes of those forgotten bookmarks? What stories could they tell?
By day, Michael Popek works in his family's used bookstore. By night, he's the voyeuristic force behind www.forgottenbookmarks.com, where he shares the weird objects he has found among the stacks at his store.
Forgotten Bookmarks is a scrapbook of Popek's most interesting finds. Sure, there are actualbookmarks, but there are also pictures and ticket stubs, old recipes and notes, valentines, unsent letters, four-leaf clovers, and various sordid, heartbreaking, and bizarre keepsakes. Together this collection of lost treasures offers a glimpse into other readers' lives that they never intended for us to see.



I first heard of Michael Popek's forgottenbookmarks.com online. After one visit, I new I just had to read the book. I found it fascinating. To think that these treasures remained hidden for decades. (Especially those tickets! You know someone went CRAZY trying to remember where they put those tickets!) I found myself wondering when I looked at the photographs- would someone read this book and see their own relatives? The letters were thought provoking as well. Page after page of hidden treasures: letters, cards, mementos-it made me wonder what memories are hiding inside my own books.
I plan to visit the website more often, and I hope Popek will publish more of his fascinating finds.

Read this book if...
*you love non-fiction
*you love old books
*you love old treasure and mementos



No comments:

Post a Comment