Tuesday, April 9, 2013


It's Top Ten Tuesday! Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Today's Top Ten :

What are the top ten books you read before you became a blogger?


Oral History by: Lee Smith

This is the ultimate southern novel. I couldn't put it down, and everyone I've recommended it to says the same. Smith combines all of what makes Appalachia beautiful- part family saga, part supernatural- my all-time favorite book. Spanning over 100 years, it tells the story of how one Appalachian family's home place became haunted...

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

What can I say? This book is a classic. I think it would be hard to find anyone who hasn't read it. A must read for any woman. 

Their Eyes Were Watching God by: Zora Neale Hurston

From the first time I read Zora Neale Hurston, I fell in love with her writing. This is a beautiful story which was made into an awesome movie starring Halle Berry. If you haven't read this one, you need to find yourself some Zora.

Fair and Tender Ladies by: Lee Smith

Ivy Rowe captures the reader's heart from the beginning. Set in Appalachia, Ivy's story is told through letters she writes, which capture her life as young girl, wife, mother and grandmother. 

The Beulah Land Series by Lonnie Coleman

I was pretty young when I got hooked on this series. Set on a deep south plantation, these novels follow one family through several generations.

Jubilee  by: Margaret Walker

This is the true story of Vyry, the child of a white plantation owner and his black mistress. Written by her great-great granddaughter, this is a haunting novel is one you won't ever forget.

Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by: Fannie Flagg

No one writes a southern novel like Fannie Flagg. Daisy Fay Harper is the sassy heroine of this novel set on the Gulf Coast in the early 1950's.

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen

This is the first book I read by Sarah Addison Allen. I've since read them all. Josey Cirrini hides sweets in her closet....along with romance novels. Imagine her surprise when she also finds a local waitress Della Lee Baker hiding there. Allen always adds a hint of the supernatural to her stories....just like real life in the south. If you've never read Sarah Addison Allen, this is a great place to start.

The Girl Who Chased the Moon by: Sarah Addison Allen

Emily Benedict comes to Mullaby , North Carolina hoping to find out more about her mysterious mother and the childhood she never discussed. When Emily moves into her mother's childhood home with her grandfather (a real-life giant) she discovers a home where wallpaper changes to suit your moods, where more mysteries about than she bargained for...

How High the Moon by: Sandra Kring

OK- I love everything by Sandra Kring. (Who doesn't?) This story, set in 1955 & told through the eyes of Sandra "Teaspoon" Marlene, a ten-year-old girl being raised by Teddy- the man her mother left her with she ran off to California. If you haven't read Sandra Kring yet, it's time to start.



6 comments:

  1. I don't know many of those books, but they look really good :D.
    Old follower
    my TTT
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2013/04/top-ten-tuesday-16.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Texas Zora was required reading for almost all up level english classes at a university, but when I moved almost no one here has ever heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that crazy? I think Zora should be required in every high school. Her life itself reads like a novel. It wasn't required in my high school, but IMEO was much more relevant than some of the junk we did have to read...

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of these...or even heard of them =x. Except for The Color Purple because it was like a play or musical right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really interesting TTT. I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't read a single book on the list, and the only one I've heard of is The Colour Purple (and that is only because someone did a presentation on it and the film based on it whilst I was at uni).

    Becki @ The Flutterby Room

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard great things about Sarah Addison Allen, will look into her books :D

    My Top Ten

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete