Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Novels that Capture Appalachia


I am posting this on both this blog and my other blog, Life on Devil's Hollow.

An avid reader, I decided to make a list of novels that truly capture Appalachia and it's people. This is by no means a complete list- this is just the top of the stack.
I admit the list is heavy with Lee Smith and Robert Morgan, but if you've read them you will know why. No one captures Appalachian people and culture like they do.

I welcome any comments. I'd love to hear what books other readers feel really capture the life in this beautiful corner of the world.

Oral History by: Lee Smith

My Old True Love by: Sheila Kay Adams

Black Mountain Breakdown by: Lee Smith

Cataloochee by: Wayne Caldwell

The Hinterlands by: Robert Morgan

Christy by: Catharine Marshall

The Devil's Dream by: Lee Smith


The Coal Tattoo by: Silas House

Fair and Tender Ladies by: Lee Smith

Gap Creek by: Robert Morgan

Velva Jean Learns to Drive by: Jennifer Niven

Wish You Well by: David Baldacci

Saving Grace by: Lee Smith


 Moon Women  by: Pamela Duncan

A Parchment of Leaves by: Silas House


Roxanna Slade by: Reynolds Price

No comments:

Post a Comment