Friday, February 10, 2023

Hey Hun: Sales, Sisterhood, Supremacy, and Other Lies Behind Multilevel Marketing



 Hey Hun: Sales, Sisterhood, Supremacy, and Other Lies Behind Multi-Level Marketing

Author:Emily Lynn Paulson

Publisher: Row House

Release Date: May 30, 2023

*I received my digital copy from Netgalley. I was not compensated in any way.

Emily Lynn Paulson was an upper middle- class stay at home mom when she was recruited into an MLM cosmetics company and rose to the top. She was making tens of thousands per month, traveling extensively, and showered with designer handbags and other perks. It took years for her to realize the truth about the company she worked for. She got involved with the company to make friends, earn a little "me time" and travel. What she got was exhaustion, a drinking problem, and hardly any time for her children or husband. In this, her second book, Emily Paulson comes clean about MLMs, who they prey on, and how they operate.

I chose this book because I have fallen for the MLM recruitment lines more than once. (Much more than once.) It took me learning the hard way that MLMs are a quick path to financial ruin. Why did I get involved? I needed extra money. MLMs look so exciting to women like me What kind of woman is that? Paulson describes in detail who gets targeted, and why.

I literally could not put this book down. I saw so much of myself and my friends who have fallen time and again for the idea of making money from home in our spare time. How do MLMs draw women in and how do they brainwash them into staying? Paulsen explains this as well as how MLMs use control tactics to brainwash their consultants (or whatever term they use for the people who sign up and pay money for a "starter kit"). Paulson explains how MLMs work and why they remain legal. 

 Thanks to this book, I now understand why MLMs set people like me up for failure. It all makes sense now. Paulson's writing style makes for easy reading and understandability. This is a fascinating book. I highly recommend it. Thank you Row House for allowing me to read this!

Read this book if...

... you have ever been involved in an MLM

... someone you care about is involved in an MLM

... you are being pressured into joining an MLM

...you are curious about "pyramid schemes" and MLMs


No comments:

Post a Comment