Sunday, May 19, 2013

Diary of a Mad Fat Girl

Title: Diary of a Mad Fat Girl Author: Stephanie McAfee Publisher: New American Library Pages: 353


From Amazon.com:
Graciela "Ace" Jones is mad-mad at her best friend Lilly who cancels their annual trip to Panama City for mysterious reasons; at her boss Catherine for "riding her ass like a fat lady on a Rascal scooter;" at her friend Chloe's abusive husband; and especially at Mason McKenzie, the love of her life, who has shown up with a marriage proposal one year too late. Ace is never mad, though, at her near-constant companion, an adorable chiweenie dog named Buster Loo.
Ace's anger begins to dissipate as she takes matters into her own hands to take down Chloe's philandering husband-and to get to the bottom of a multitude of other scandals plaguing Bugtussle, Mississippi. Then, she starts to realize that maybe Mason deserves a second chance after all.
With a sharp and distinctive voice, Stephanie McAfee delivers a hilarious and fast-paced tale about Ace Jones and her two best friends-thick as thieves and tough as nails-navigating Southern small-town politics and prejudices, finding love, and standing up for each other all the way.


OK I loved it! I mean, what's not to love? A heroine who admits her weight is due to a love of pizzas, cheeseburgers, & beer- and she ain't givin' 'em up!  Teachers showing their true (fallible and lovable) selves-(I've been in education 23 years...)I laughed out loud several times while reading this book and I can't wait to read the next one. Ace and Lilly had me drawn in from page one. They are true southern girls- brave, smart, strong, and a little crazy. You've got to respect a book in which the heroine does not conform to society's standards, make mistake,s and still comes out good in the end. Another thing I loved about it was that I didn't have it all figured out before the ending. I kept wondering if she'd choose Tommy or Mason. I'm definitely a Stephanie McAfee fan now!

Read this book if..
*you love southern fiction
*you love books about strong women
*you love books that make you laugh out loud
*you love pizza & beer and ain't given' 'em up!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one too. I think it's a planned trilogy although the third book isn't out yet. I'll be curious to see where Ace ends up in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete