Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Sticks and Stones and a Bag of Bones (A Mermaid Bay Christmas Shoppe Mystery)

 Sticks and Stones and a Bag of Bones

by: Heather Weidner



Publisher: Level Best Books

I received this Kindle version from Netgalley.


    Jade Hicks and her French Bulldog, Chloe reside in a cottage in the beach village of Mermaid Bay, Virginia. Jade inherited the cottage, as well as "Tis the Season", (a Christmas-themed shop) from her grandparents. Jade and her fellow Mermaid Bay residents are preparing for their annual Christmas in July celebration when a jogger on the beach trips over a suitcase. Unfortunately, the suitcase contains bones! Soon, Jade and her Mermaid Bay neighbors are receiving threatening letters and even a few voodoo dolls. Who is threatening the residents of Mermaid Bay-- and why?

Being more familiar with mysteries than cozy mysteries, it took me a bit to get into this one. Without including spoilers, I will say that it got off to a slow start. However, a few chapters into the book, I became more engrossed in the mystery. The story is a little slower-paced than other mysteries that I have read. The characters are likable, although they could've used a little more fleshing out. I was confused about how a person is flattered at being asked out by one man and then, minutes later confirms her relationship with another. It wasn't a deal breaker, but I found it odd. I also noticed that the main character, and a few others, communicate by scrunching their noses a good bit. This is something I haven't encountered before. It does not, however, detract from the mystery. Lastly, the "developers vs. landowners" theme is not a favorite of mine. This is personal. I happen to live in an area where this is constantly an issue. Lastly, I found the use of Voodoo dolls strange, since there were no characters involved in the religion. I found the ending a surprise, although I am not sure how believable. 

 As a cozy mystery, there are no expletives and very little violence. This is a "feel good " story, great for a beach visit or travel. Don't expect page-turning action. Do expect likable characters in an adorable village by the sea. I would definitely visit Mermaid Bay myself. 

Read this story if.....

...you love cozy mysteries.

... you love stories that take place at the beach.

... you love small-town stories.

... you love stories that take place in the south.

No comments:

Post a Comment